It was my Mum's birthday. Definately a time for special cupcakes. I am rarely given the chance to make delicious cupcakes for my family so I wanted to make something super special:) This is what I came up with after 3 hours of drooling over recipes on the internet....
Snickerdoodle Duo - not only a cupcake but also a cookie! From Bakerella :) You could make your own... they aren't particularly difficult... but are particularly yummy:) I didn't use the 7 minute frosting though... I used the marshmallow frosting from the next cupcake:)
This cupcake, although not particularly attractive in these annoyingly see through wrappers, was delicious:) A confetti cupcake with marshmallow frosting for the kiddies:) Try this link for a look at the pretty insides -
Such a project... who knew it would be such as epic task... well I did:) Here is the latest pics of the apothcary cabinet we have been working on:)
At this point I have a feeling it isn't going to be finished before I go back to work in a week... hmmm I guess that's ok right? right? :)
The top holes are open, the bottom ones are drawers and cupboards:) Tomorrow I will be patching up all the holes and making everything nice and smooth for the first primer coat:) Yay it should look super nice:)
From the So You Think You're Crafty blog tutorials, here is the linky link to part 1, from there you can get to part 2 to make your own knotty delight:) This was the winning entry from season 5 by KoJo designs:) Pretty awesome huh??
This one is the one I made for my sister:) As you might notice the squares are smaller, also my bed is smaller... yes that's my queen sized wearing king sized clothes... It would look different on my sisters bed:) Also although I enjoy this colour I think I would enjoy a gunmetal grey or latte colour... I was somewhat limited by the amount of fabric on the rolls at my favourite fabric store! So limited that there wasn't enough to make 56 large squares as instructed in the tutorial... I ended up making smaller ones... 80 smaller ones to be exact! That made it the right size:)
Here's a close up:) It was a bit time consuming, lucky my friend Chelsea helped me handsew some squares on a beach day:) The sewing together 80 squares took me nearly 2 days and attaching it to the backing and wadding by hand took a day too... I had to deviate a bit because my new sewing machine needed some service man love and my old one couldn't love a whole king size item!
I also received a custom order for a kindle cover for my sister - but not gifted by me! Hehe:) My sister requested any fabric I thought would be good, but she did enjoy birds! Hmmm well that's a big decision... I have a good stash of fabrics! So I chose my new favourite velveteen by Anna Maria Horner from her Innocent Crush collection. It's soooo soft and nice and lovely to sew with!
So I had to add some birds on the inside:) I can't remember who made this one... but I love it!
I have to include some super cute photos of my sisters lovely babies:) We had soooo many cuddles, a trip to the park and the boy didn't spew on me today! So that was a bonus!:)
So today we got on with making the apothecary cabinet... more pics to come for that one! I must reccommend the jersey quilt tutorial! It was so well written and quite simple! It did seem a bit weird as I was making it, but afterwards I seriously considered making my own! Unfortunately my furbaby is obsessed with smoothing and so that quilt would do her poor bunny brain in! I hope you can give it a try!
Well yes... you might ask this question... surely in the 6.5 weeks on holidays you are not just making your sister a birthday present! Especially when you have such a helpful bunny assistant.
No. The task today involved no bunnies.
But it is mainly due to a certain cord eating bunny that this project had to be pursued. Also a certain husband who believes that you can attach anything to the tv and leave it hanging out all over the place...
We are going to go for a distressed look in neutral tones:) Kind of more like this picture...
So we started with a trip to bunnings and a particularly horrid drive home in the car with a full sheet of MDF because that bunnings doesn't cut MDF.... also must say terrible recommendation on particle board... Bunnings man you were wrong. Particle board is a terrible idea when the ends aren't capped... Use MDF or plywood!
But all the same we will sort it out with a thick primer or something!!
Here are a our materials for part 1 of the plans -
Didn't use all that much stuff... I was surprised... Next part of the plan only requires the ingredients for the drawers so almost a bargain!:)
This is the bits all cut up for the framework of the cabinet... not tooooo many bits... I'm pretty bad at cutting so if there are too many bits things can go very very wrong...
It was definately a two preson task without the appropriate workbench and clamps... but its nice to build with someone else anyway... as you can see... Alex was very "excited" about building with me... its not really his thing... at all... but when a lady needs building help!! Especially when he realised we would be customising it for easy cord access (for humans not bunnies) he was there!!
This is the first sticking everything together step... the frame now has a top and one side... the drill ran out of batteries so we had to stop for the day... Alex was somewhat concerned about the stability of the framework when combined with the giant tv and all his special items inside... but I believe it will be ok... We will have to investigate later:) When it has two legs...
I can't lie. I am super excited about it. I am imagining it finished right now. yes. nice. :)